Academic buildings of KhNTUA

We offer to your attention a brief outline of some of the buildings of Kharkiv P.Vasylenko National Technical University of Agriculture. They were created by the prominent architects.

 

The main building of the University is located on Artema str., 44.

Probably it’s hard to find another street in Kharkiv with such a colourful history. Many institutions moved here, to the Artema street, and already “on the spot” they changed their names and purposes at a kaleidoscopic speed. But at first there was a gloomy lane that led out to one of the city’s cemeteries. It received a specific name: Starokladbyschenskyi (“Old cemeterial”) (not the only one in the city: the name was quite common). Burials were carried out on this cemetery from 1803 to 1823. Burial places, like today, were carried on the outskirts of the city and who, two hundred years ago, could assume that there would be a central part of the metropolis?

At the beginning of the XX-th century, when a women diocesan school was opened here, the street was named Yeparkhialna (“Eparchial”). The House of the Commercial Institute, built in 1914-1916 on the corner of Yeparkhialna and Basseina (now Petrovskoho) streets by the famous architect A. Beketov gave even more solidity to it.

Some schools of Tsarist Russia allowed joint training of men and women. Among them was the Commercial Institute, founded in the 1910’s on the base of the Higher Commercial Courses under the Commercial school.

Later (in 1915-1916) it became the Warsaw Institute: since German troops broke through to Warsaw, the Russian-speaking educational institution moved to Kharkiv.

In 1921 Yeparkhialna street was renamed into Artema street (after the revolutionary Artem).

The institute that first taught commerce in post-revolutionary 20’s began to teach communism, so it was named Communistic. With the elimination of the Communistic Institute, Polish-Kharkiv symbiosis continued: this building housed for a while Dokuchaev Agricultural Institute which was founded in the Polish city Marymont. Later the Agricultural Institute moved to the village Communist, and in 1978 the building was handed over to Kharkiv Institute of Mechanization and Electrification of Agriculture (KhIMEA).

In the same 1978 KhIMEA got another excellent building by Beketov on Myronosytska str., 92 (former Dzerzhinskoho street).

 

Women’s medical courses on Myronosytska str.

(academician of architecture O.M.Beketov, 1914)

At the beginning of the XX-th century new higher educational establishments were added to the three schools existing in the city at that time, although their foundation often occurred with considerable difficulties. This was primarily related to the higher education of women. Creation of Higher Women’s Courses with authorities of university was the result of a long hard struggle of progressive intellectuals for women’s equality, and Kharkiv was not an exception as for this. In 1907, Women’s Courses of Mutual Aid Society of Working Women were opened in Kharkiv. At first, they were located in Armenian lane, 2. The courses had two faculties: those of History and Philology with historical and literary departments and physicomathematical with the departments of Natural History and Mathematics. The lectures were delivered by professors according to classical university programs. The courses were paid. After 3-4 years of training, graduates who passed an additional examination in Latin at the University received the right to teach at junior secondary schools. In 1913-1914 a monumental building in neoclassical style in O.M. Beketov’s project was built on Myronosytska str. specially for Higher Women’s Courses.

Another well known to residents of Kharkiv building, where we teach students, is located on Moskovsky av., 45 (formerly Staromoskovskaya str.). It is in this remarkable building where KhIMEA actually began its history.

 

Technical School on the former Vosnesenskaya sq.

(architect K.O. Tolkunov, 1877)

Since classical state-owned and private higher school were preparing students to enter classical universities, there was a need for education-oriented training in technological and other institutions of practical direction. These were technical schools. First Kharkiv Technical Higher School was opened in 1873 in the house of the merchants Kostyurins, the former Kinna str. (Bohdan Khmelnytsky str.). In the first year there were 153 students, and in 1877 the school moved to a specially constructed building on the former Vosnesenskaya Square (now Moskovsky av., 45). Built by the architect K.O. Tolkunov in original form reminiscent of Roman-Gothic buildings, it was one of the finest school buildings in the city at that time and was equipped for a variety of practical purposes, there were physical and chemical classes. The school had a preparatory group, six principal grades and the additional seventh grade for preparation for entering higher education establishments. The first four grades gave the opportunity to join the cadet school; the fifth and sixth grades prepared for secondary schools. There were departments that trained clerks and accountants. In the seventh grade students studied Technology, Construction, Geodesy, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, German and French. The courses in Russian, Literature, History and Geography were taught in the reduced amount.

The building of the Department of Power Engineering and Computer Technologies of KhNTUA (the former KhIMEA Faculty of Electrification of Agriculture organized in 1948) is less known, but it also has quite an interesting history. This building is located on Engelsa str., 19 (former Rozhdestvenska str.).

Kulakovsky Manufacture on the former Rozhdestvenska str.

(architect O.S.Rzhepishevsky, 1910’s)

A special place among trading houses of Kharkiv was occupied with the buildings of manufactures, construction of which was common in those years on the former Rozhdestvenska str. (now Engelsa str.). The area began to resemble something like ‘the City’. Original Art Nouveau buildings, built by architects O.I.Rzhepishevskyi (houses №№ 6 and 19), M.E.Kompaniyets (№ 9), L.E.Roytenberg (№ 13) and others gave a completely new look to Rozhdestvenska str., in tune with the business rhythms of the early XX century, corresponded to different ages of development and clearly reflected the attitudes, tastes, perceptions of those who influenced the city’s economy - merchants, industrialists and financiers.

хнтусх официальный сайт харьковский национальный технический университет сельского хозяйства имени Петра Василенко химэсх хімесг химэсх харьковский государственный университет сельского хозяйства хнтусх харьковский институт механизации электрификации сельского хозяйства державний університет сільського господарства інститут механізації електрифікації нац. университет с/х хнтусг ім. П.Василенка хнтусг ім. Петра Василенка хнтусх офіційний сайт Kharkiv Petro Vasylenko National Technical University of Agriculture University Kharkov agriculture Ukraine